Tuesday, August 21, 2007

How To Build A Fence Video

by Gwyer Maitland

Eric Stromer How To Build A Fence video

Recently I came across a DIY/AOL how to build a fence video. It's one of the guys from a DIY t.v. show, Eric Stromer. He seems like a cool guy and it's a pretty good video.
Powered by AOL Video

One of the things that bugged me about the video - and I watched it twice to find out - was how the bottom rails were attached to the posts. Maybe I missed something...

I noticed that the upper rails were framed so they extended past the posts and were attached simply with a nail gun. What I remember about the bottom rails is that they fit flush against the posts between them.

Can anybody tell me?

I like the basic design of the fence but would like to know how to finish it...

Another cool tip from Eric in the video...

Eric suggested simply putting a couple of inches of dry concrete mix in the post hole before setting the posts to absorb the moisture in the soil around the post.

That seems like a really smart idea - never thought of it anyway.

Suggested Topic For Another Video:

Maybe it's me, but I've never had much luck getting the posts dead on center to accommodate pre-made fence panel sections. At least that was always the hardest
part, besides digging the post holes.

That is precisely why I never build fence sections in the shop before installing a
fence - even though I'm pretty handy with a tablesaw. It occurs to me that it would save a lot of time to prefabricate the panels if I could be sure that the panels - that were so pretty in the shop - fit the openings after the concrete is set.

I think a really good subject for a video might be exactly how that is done - in detail. That is, how do you lay out, dig, center and pour concrete for posts in such a way that pre-made panels slip right into place - snug the way I like to build fences.

It occurs to me as I write (and after watching the video again) that what I'm really talking about is a instructional video about measuring techniques. Maybe the stuff I was never taught, would have value for other people as well.

What are your suggestions for video topics, instructions and information that you would like to see? Post them in the comment section and we'll get busy.

That's it for now.

3 comments:

Alexandra Barrett said...

I really like the video, pretty helpful. I would have liked more detailed shots and more finishing detail. Any chance of that in the future?

woof nanny said...

Thanks for posting this. This is all new to me, but I am seriously considering tackling this project, so I am in search of info. I was told, however, to cement the posts with the concrete coming down at an angle versus flush with the ground like in the video. That way rain runs off, but it's not as pretty. I have no idea which is the prefered method. I hope to learn more and do this myself, as hiring someone to do it would be too expensive.

vance said...

Start building a fence by making holes every 8 feet for the treated posts, which are usually 4"x4"x8'. Dig two feet holes with a posthole digger. Here's the secret to ensure your posts are stable. Once the cylindrical hole is dug for the fence post, go in and dig at an angle creating a hole shaped like a ball. This will provide an anchor for the posts once it is set in concrete.

There is a danger to your fence of which few people are aware. That is the linger factor. When water runs down the face of the wood and lingers on the bottom lip it can be absorbed and rot the wood. This is the same reason why fascia boards are easily rotted and warped. Coating the top and bottom lip will prevent lingering water from ruining your fence.
How to Build a Fence